Monday, June 30, 2008

Does Having Kids Make You Happier?


A Harvard professor of psychology, Daniel Gilbert, concluded that marital satisfaction "decreases dramatically after the birth of the first child and increases only when the last child left home." With the results of his study in his book "Stumbling on Happiness" makes us wonder if having children creates a miserable life. After reading the article in Newsweek, I asked myself if having my daughter altered my state of happiness.

I thought about all of the sleepless nights, not having a full night's sleep since she's been born, or even having to adjust my life now that she's born. After all of that, I can honestly say that I'm not miserable. But does she make me happy? Yes.

I look forward to seeing her everyday. I enjoy experiencing childhood again with all of the innocence and discovery. I'm excited about learning her personality and can't wait to see the woman she will eventually become. Perhaps, I feel this way because I'm a dreamy person by nature, but since she's been born I see the world differently.

Now that doesn't say the study is entirely incorrect, however, your response towards any life altering changes (i.e. children) heavily depends on your outlook. I make the choice to enjoy the ride of motherhood, no matter how messy and tiring it can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



LrgImOnHipMama