Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Case for Usain Bolt


The fastest man in the world, Usain Bolt, is being criticized for his excessive "showboating" during the 100 meter run. I watched along with millions of others as Usain Bolt looked back at his competitors and when he neared the finish line beat his chest. I think Jacques Rogue, the International Olympic Chairperson is reading too deeply into this gesture when he said Bolt did not act in the "spirit of the Olympic ideal." The beating of the chest stemmed more from a cultural behavior that is typical of a Jamaican man. Note: I can say this because I'm Jamaican and have spent most of my life around Jamaicans. Jamaican men usually have a high level of confidence and pride that is extremely hard to ignore. It's obvious in the reggae lyrics, the outlook on life, and the unabashed swagger.

I could only imagine Usain Bolt beating his chest and saying to himself, "We run t'ings, t'ings nah run we."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



LrgImOnHipMama