Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thinking About Homeschooling?


I used to think homeschooling was reserved for hippies and extremists. I never would have imagined that I (a semester shy of my Masters in Education) will be checking out a stack of books on the subject at the local library. I would have never thought I would have spent hours researching this concept which is not nearly as new as we think it is. I have even found myself daydreaming about what kind of life our family will have we were to homeschool our children.

Then, I realized that there were so many sects of homeschooling. There are the unschoolers, the Montessori sect, the classical trained homeschoolers, the Afrocentric homeschoolers, the Christian homeschoolers, and the list goes on and on. But what I have realized is that homeschooling unleashes a world brimming of infinite possibilities that seems (if done correctly) can prepare our children to compete effectively in this global economy.

I know I sound like a parent who is sold on the homeschooling ideology, but even if you are not considering it for your families, it doesn't hurt to investigate your options. One great book to read is The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education At Home by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. If you have any great books, please share!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



LrgImOnHipMama