Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Escapism


As the Dow plummets and the gas prices rise, escapism is the way to go. Although, individuals are dining out less and conserving in other areas of entertainment, movie sales have increasingly fared well. That is of no suprise to me, when you see the sheer amount of reality shows that consistently have high numbers of viewers. I never used to understand the purpose of reality shows, except for Real World New York circa 1990, until life started to get hectic. I started to enjoy watching Run's House and Real Housewives of New York and now Atlanta.

Escapism does indeed work, albeit for that hour or two out of life. However, once those credits start to scroll up the scene reality sets in and you're back to the hustle of every day life, but now you're just a little bit more relaxed because you were able to be taken far away from your present situation.

At first, I thought the five women from Real Housewives of Atlanta were going to be terribly annoying, but after the second episode, I'm slightly hooked. I'm not sure if it's because it's the perfect ying for yang for my addiction to coverage of the Obama campaign or it's my only indulgence of frivolity in my life. Whatever the case, it's not worth overanalyzing, because it is what it is...escapism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



LrgImOnHipMama